RESTORE is working on a number of activities (actions) within different themes (work packages).
The first theme is Policy Into Practice
- 3 conferences to develop best practice plannng policy for minerals restoration in NW Europe (next conference in Dortmund, June 2014 - see here)
- Keynote report to decision makers synthesising the planning into practice results
- Country expert panels to advise on minerals planning policy
The second theme is Best Practices in Restoration and Aftercare of Post-extraction Sites
- Schuddebeuze: Masterplan for abandoned quarries
- 't Pompje: Hydrological study and restoration plan
- Abandoned limestone quarries as biotopes for protected amphibians
- Rehabilitation of ENCI Maastricht quarry connecting long distance footpaths
- Holmesdale Biodiversity Improvement Area
- NW Surrey Masterplan
- Case studies and demonstration events to showcase best practice and problem solving in quarry restoration
The third theme develops an interactive map to help decision making in minerals planning.
- Interactive map available at end 2014
The final theme investigates the ecosystem services arising from minerals restoration and how people value them
- Measuring ecosystem services delivered from restored quarries and conducting valuation exercises
- Synthesis report identifying the potential public benefits delivered from quarries restored for biodiversity.